Leela Dance Collective presents ReSound, a 5-day celebration of kathak dance, featuring street performances and workshops to educate and inspire audiences of all ages. The public is invited to experience North Indian classical dance as it reverberates through the streets of Los Angeles.
In Los Angeles, free street performances will take place at such iconic locations as Santa Monica’s 3rd St Promenade, DTLA’s Grand Park, Pasadena’s Memorial Park, Culver City’s Town Plaza, Woodland Hills’ The Village at Topanga, and the Oak Canyon Community Park showcasing kathak dance at its best, including percussive footwork, swift pirouettes, dynamic repertoire, and exhilarating music. The workshops are a great opportunity for individuals to experience kathak first hand, the way that kathak dance can ground the body, focus the mind, and uplift the spirit. Workshops are held at some of LA’s most popular studios including Evolution Studios, Electric Lodge, and The Vault. The concept and arrangement of the ReSound repertoire is curated by Rina Mehta, senior disciple of kathak legend Pandit Chitresh Das and cofounder of the critically acclaimed Leela Dance Collective. ReSound showcases Das’s original compositions and choreography, while featuring a new generation of emerging kathak dancers trained in his iconic style – Sonali Toppur, Ahana Mukherjee, Carrie McCune, and Ria DasGupta.
All performances are free and open to the public, and all workshops are $10.
Register here to attend a free street performance and get a discount code for Leela Academy’s fall session and register for a workshop to save your spot – availability is limited.
Live Performances – Free
- Friday, Sept 24, 12:30 p.m.: Grand Park, DTLA
- Friday, Sept 24, 6:30 p.m.: The Village at Topanga, Woodland Hills
- Saturday, Sept 25, 1:30 p.m. & 2:30 p.m.: 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica
- Saturday, Sept 25, 5:30 p.m.: Memorial Park, Pasadena (featuring performance by Los Angeles’ inaugural Leela Youth Dance Company)
- Sunday, Sept 26, 11:30 a.m.: Oak Canyon Community Park, 5600 Hollytree Dr, Oak Park (part of the Kathak Karnival featuring additional family activities, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Sunday, Sept 26, 5:30 p.m.: Town Plaza, 9500 Culver Blvd, Culver City
Kathak Workshops – $10
- Before Bollywood: Wed, Sept 22, 7:00-8:00 p.m., The Vault Dance Studio, 57 Palmetto Dr, Pasadena Before Bollywood there was kathak, known for its grandeur, beauty, and elegance. Join us for a workshop that introduces you to the movement, music and expression of this dynamic art form. Students of all levels and backgrounds are welcome.
- Bare Feet Beats: Thurs, Sept 23, 7:00-8:00 p.m., Evolution Dance Studios, 10816 Burbank Blvd, NoHo. Dive into the dynamic world of kathak. Move, groove, jam and slam as you learn how to make rhythm and music with your bare feet. Students of all levels and backgrounds welcome.
- From Sensuality to Spirituality: Sat, Sept 25, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Electric Lodge, 1416 Electric Ave, Venice. Radha is one of India’s most beloved goddesses. Her love, devotion and yearning for Krishna is a metaphor for our relationship to the divine. As we explore Radha’s love for Krishna through the art of kathak, classical dance of North India we explore the eternal human search for the divine. Students of all levels and backgrounds welcome.
- The Indian Avatars: Sun, Sept 26, 12:00-1:00pm, Oak Canyon Community Park, 5600 Hollytree Dr, Oak Park. In this workshop, kids are introduced to kathak, classical dance of North India. Kids learn coordination, movement rhythm, music and dramatic expression as they delve into the rich world of Indian mythology. For kids, ages 5 and up. Part of the Kathak Karnival featuring additional family activities.
- The Indian Avatars: Sun, Sept 26, 3:00-4:00 p.m., Diaz Studio of Dance, 3816 Culver Ctr, Culver City. In this workshop, kids are introduced to kathak, classical dance of North India. Kids learn coordination, movement rhythm, music and dramatic expression as they delve into the rich world of Indian mythology. For kids, ages 5 and up.
- Movement, Music & Meditation: Sun, Sept 26, 4:00-5:00 p.m., Diaz Studio of Dance, 3816 Culver Ctr, Culver City. Discover the beauty and dynamism of kathak. Workshop participants are introduced to the technique, movement, music and poetry of the art form woven together into an experience that is meditation in motion.
Family Festival – $10
Kathak Karnival: Sun, Sept 26, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Oak Canyon Community Park, 5600 Hollytree Dr, Oak Park
Enjoy dance, music, food, and fun – $10 admission includes an exclusive performance of ReSound by Leela Dance Collective, with an opening performance by Los Angeles’ inaugural Leela Youth Dance Company, as well as kathak workshops for children, youth, and adults. Register now and get unlimited access to family activities including henna art, face painting, photo booths, gift giveaways, and more. Free parking.