Asian-American Entrepreneur Joseph Lam Is Helping Immigrant Families Reconnect Through A New Interactive Card Game Called Parents Are Human
Joseph Lam is an Asian-American entrepreneur on a mission to help people connect deeply with their parents through his card game Parents Are Human. For years he had a strained relationship with his parents as he tried to fit in among peers while they held on to their cultural traditions and influences. After almost more than a decade of resentment and subsequent guilt, Lam made they choice to breakdown this wall between him and his parents and start a dialogue. That dialogue and healing brought him closer to his parents and eventually led him to develop a game for others who might have similar experiences with immigrant parents. Lam ultimately co-founded Parents Are Human, a bilingual connection card game to help immigrant families have deeper conversations and forge stronger ties.
Each deck contains 70 prompts with two levels of difficulty to inspire connection, compassion, and vulnerability. Each card includes a question or action in English on one side and a translated language on the other to help bridge language, culture, and generational gaps. The original English + Chinese language editions have helped thousands of families worldwide, and they have received over 900 language requests in just two years.
The team recently launched preorders for our Vietnamese, Spanish, Korean, Tagalog, and English language editions of Parents Are Human on Kickstarter (shipping in November in time for the holidays): bit.ly/parentsarehuman
For more insight on this project, check out the interview of Joseph Lam below via NowThis and take a look at his 30 Reflections From Healing A Broken Relationship With My Parents blog post on the official Parents Are Human website.
More About Parents Are Human:
- The game contains 70 increasingly deep questions and activities to try with loved ones both virtually & in person.
- Our bilingual editions include English on one side of each card and either Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish, Korean, or Tagalog on the back to bridge language barriers.
- Our English Edition has blank backs, so you can write custom questions, translate them into any language, & more.
- Parents Are Human is available through our website: parentsarehuman.com and on Kickstarter (bit.ly/parentsarehuman)
- We ship all over the world with free shipping in the US.
- We made all our cards free/Pay-What-You-Want to ensure these experiences are accessible to everyone.
- Lastly, I spent hundreds of hours documenting how I rebuilt my relationship with my parents so others can learn from my mistakes.